Saturday, August 24, 2024

3 AM


It's 3 AM
The numbers on the alarm clock
Unrelenting
Laser red
Doesn't feel like I'll ever sleep again

It's 3 AM
And I'm in my head
My soul is out wandering
But my body is glued to the bed
 
 
It's 3 AM
I'm time tripping again
Gonna give the dial a spin
Fast forward to the end
Look back at where I've been

...again
 
 
It's 3 AM
Just me and my head
Is this what it's like to be dead?
I've forgotten my soul
And brought along my anxieties and fears instead
 
 
It's 3 AM
I'd wander to the kitchen
Get something to eat
But I have no feet 
So I float up toward the ceiling


It's 3 AM
This feels like a dream
But I can't wake up
Because I already am
Damn
 
It's 3 AM
It's cold
I'm lonely
I need a friend
 

3 AM  
I open the curtain
And peer out into the night
As witches and demons peer in
 

It's 3 AM
This repetition is doing me in
I want to scream <SCREAM>
But no one would hear me if I did

It's 3 AM
The time when the veil is thin
Slits in the membrane
Rifts in heaven's skin
 
It's 3 AM
I'm sending out a signal
To guide all friendlies in
 
It's 3 AM
The sandman has come to 
Reclaim all of his sand
 
 
3 AM
My neighbors are at it again
The walls are paper thin
I don't know which is worse
The fighting or the makeup sex at 3 AM
 
 
It's 3 AM
I wish I smoked
Cigarettes
Just to have something to do
 
Qu'est-ce que c'est que je suis aujourd'hui?

Me and my head walk into a bar
The bartender seems to be ignoring us
So I say to him, "Is this what it's like to be dead?"
"That depends," he chuckles, still without looking at us.
"On how hard you hit your head on that bar."

 
----

This is meant to be some kind of stream of consciousness beat poetry. Picture a brooding guy on a stool strumming a single guitar chord with each intonation of the words "3 AM." Slight reverb and delay, perhaps some melancholic wah-wah. Jazz-ish, hipster vibe, vocals monotone, spoken, except for a single muted scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've changed my comments settings to allow for anyone to comment. All comments are welcome, even spineless potshots from anonymous posters. Please, by all means, give me the tongue lashing I so richly deserve. I promise not to hunt you down and melt your keyboard with my plasma cannon. I won't, however, promise not to pout and make that face you can't stand.